Chevrolet Silverado 15002007-09 models
results also apply to: 2007-09 GMC Sierra 1500
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 were redesigned for the 2007 model year. Two tests of a 2009 Silverado 1500 were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible, and loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill of the driver door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Rear passenger — Although the intruding barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, the head was not protected from contacts outside the vehicle. This indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning well outward and approaching the window sill.
- Intrusion of the B-pillar and door sill into the occupant compartment is apparent in this view.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2008 models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (standard on crew cabs, optional on extended cabs, and optional on regular cabs beginning with 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT 1500 (2wd crew cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 5,176 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 144 in.
- Length: 230 in.
- Width: 80 in.
- Engine: 5.3 L V8
- EPA ratings: 14 mpg city | 20 mpg highway