Suzuki Grand Vitara1999-2005 models
results also apply to: 1999-2004 Chevrolet Tracker | 1999-2004 Suzuki Vitara
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Suzuki Grand Vitara and Suzuki Vitara were introduced in the 1999 model year, and the Chevrolet Tracker was redesigned the same year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. The driver door bowed outward and, during rebound from the airbag, the dummy moved up and toward the driver door, hitting the roof rail in front of the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and both legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver space was maintained reasonably well.
- Blue and white paint above the dummy's head indicates where it hit the roof rail, which had bent sharply as the A-pillar moved rearward.
- Footwell intrusion and instrument panel movement were minimal.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,223 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 98 in.
- Length: 165 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 20 mpg highway