Mitsubishi Galant1999-2003 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mitsubishi Galant was redesigned for the 1999 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head moved down and toward the driver door. Then its head moved up, hitting the B-pillar and head restraint.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Moderate footwell intrusion contributed to the possibility of right leg injury.
- Mitsubishi improved the 1999 Galant's rear bumper system, reducing damage in the rear-into-pole test from $1,651 (1995 model) to only $250.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,069 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 28 mpg highway