Chrysler PT Cruiser2008-10 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chrysler PT Cruiser was introduced in the 2001 model year. Beginning with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard (they had been optional in 2001-07 models), and the rear door trim panels and rear seat belt mounting locations were modified to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes. car was discontinued after the 2010 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Even though the side airbag protected the dummy’s head from being hit by the intruding barrier, head and neck injuries still would be possible, as well as a fracture of the pelvis. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat. Still, moderately high head and neck injury measures were recorded.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional in 2001-07 models)
- Driver inflatable knee bolster: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes (beginning with 2006 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights (optional on fleet vehicles only)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser LX wagon
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 3,148 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 169 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 24 mpg highway