Toyota Matrix2009-12 models
results also apply to: 2009-10 Pontiac Vibe
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were redesigned for the 2009 model year. A small number of 2010 Pontiac Vibes were built before the car was discontinued.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (standard on Vibe and beginning with 2010 Matrix models, optional on 2009 Matrix models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Toyota Matrix wagon
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,844 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 102 in.
- Length: 172 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 31 mpg highway