Subaru Forester1999-2002 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Forester was introduced in the 1998 model year and structurally modified for the 1999 model year to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, and the top of its head grazed the roof rail in front of the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right knee indicate that injuries to the knee would be possible. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver space was maintained reasonably well.
- Pink, white, and blue paint above the dummy's head shows where it hit the roof rail after rebounding from the airbag.
- Green paint shows where the dummy's knee hit the bolster and recorded possible knee injury.
- Front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional beginning with 2001 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (beginning with 2002 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1999 Subaru Forester L 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,168 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 99 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 26 mpg highway