Chevrolet HHR2010-11 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet HHR was introduced in the 2006 model year. In the 2009 model year, front and rear head curtain side airbags became standard except in cars sold to fleet buyers that could still be ordered without side airbags. Caution: This means that when fleet vehicles without side airbags are eventually sold, they will be available to retail purchasers. Beginning with 2010 models, side airbags were made standard for retail and fleet buyers.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2010 models for retail and fleet buyers, standard in 2009 models for retail buyers, optional in all 2006-08 models and in 2009 models originally sold to fleets)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2008 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional on 2008 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional on 2006-08 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Chevrolet HHR LT wagon
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 3,206 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 176 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway