Hyundai Genesis2009-10 models built before February 2010
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Genesis was introduced in the 2009 model year. Two tests of the Genesis were conducted. In the first test, the side curtain and side torso airbags deployed late, contributing to high forces recorded on the driver dummy's torso. These measures indicated that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely.
As a result, Hyundai modified the side airbag programming on all 2009 and later Genesis models manufactured after November 20, 2008. A second test was conducted to assess the effect of the fix. In the second test, the airbags deployed normally, and the torso injury measures were much improved. Hyundai implemented a service campaign to reprogram the side airbags on all 2009 models produced before the change was made on the production line.
The evaluation of the Genesis is based on the second test, except for the structural rating, which is based both tests.
Driver — In the second test, measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — In the second test, the dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the second of two crash tests.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment (second test shown).
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags in the second test.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbags (second test shown).
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front and rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,845 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front and rear seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 116 in.
- Length: 196 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 27 mpg highway