Lifesavers 2014 featured materials
- Enforcement challenges at lower per se BAC limits in the United States, Michele Fields, General Counsel
- Vehicle factors associated with LATCH use and correct child restraint installation, Angela Eichelberger, PhD
- Teenagers and later licensure: What does research say?, Anne T. McCartt, Senior Vice President, Research
- Using technology to prevent backover crashes, David Zuby, EVP/Chief Research Officer
- The promise and reality of crash avoidance technology, David Zuby, EVP/Chief Research Officer
Views of New Jersey teenagers about their state's policies for beginning drivers, Williams, Allan F.; McCartt, Anne T., Journal of Safety Research, February 2014 — request a copy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Visibility of children behind 2010-13 model year passenger vehicles using glances, mirrors, and backup cameras and parking sensors, Kidd, David G.; Brethwaite, Andrew, Accident Analysis and Prevention, May 2014 — request a copy by emailing email@example.com
Effects of a rearview camera, parking sensor system, and the technologies combined on preventing a collision with an unexpected stationary or moving object, Kidd, David G.; Hagoski, Bradly K.; Tucker, Tia G.; Chiang, Dean P. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, March 2014
Vehicle factors affecting tether use and misuse, Jermakian, Jessica S.; Klinich, Kathleen D.; Orton, Nichole R.; Flannagan, Carol A.C.; Manary, Miriam A.; Malik, Laura A.; Narayanaswamy, Prabha, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, February 2014
Vehicle characteristics associated with LATCH use and correct use in real-world child restraint installations, Cicchino, J.B. and Jermakian, J.S., Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, April 2014
Experiences of Dodge and Jeep owners with collision avoidance and related technologies, Cicchino, Jessica B.; McCartt, Anne T., Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, March 2014
Toyota drivers' experiences with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, the Pre-Collision System, and Lane-Keeping Assist, Eichelberger, Angela H.; McCartt, Anne T., Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, March 2014
Buick Lucerne drivers' experiences with Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist, Cicchino, Jessica B.; Eichelberger, Angela H.; McCartt, Anne T., Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, March 2014
Educational and consumer safety information
These links go to the iihs.org desktop site.
Status Report, Vol. 48, No. 3
April 8, 2014
- Midsize SUVs disappoint in small overlap front crash test Two GM models, the Chevrolet Equinox and its twin, the GMC Terrain, are the only midsize SUVs out of nine tested to earn a good rating in the small overlap front crash test.
- What makes LATCH easier to use? Parents reinforce lab findings of key vehicle design features A new IIHS study confirms that better designs for LATCH anchor setups in vehicles could make parents more likely to use LATCH and use it correctly.
- Regulators revive truck recorder rule after legal setback Regulators have rewritten a proposed requirement for electronic logbooks on commercial vehicles in response to a court decision that had temporarily halted the rulemaking process.
Status Report, Vol. 47, No. 2
March 13, 2014
- Preventing driveway tragedies: Rear cameras help drivers see behind them Rear cameras show promise in preventing backover crashes and are more effective than parking sensors in helping drivers avoid objects behind them, new IIHS research demonstrates.
- SIDEBAR: Parking sensors help reduce property damage crashes Buick drivers say they like parking sensors, which help prevent property damage.
- Dodge/Jeep and Toyota owners say they like their crash avoidance features Front crash prevention, adaptive cruise control and other high-tech systems are proving popular among drivers of nonluxury brands.
- Don't confuse essential public health research with government spying IIHS President Adrian Lund responds to the controversy over the National Roadside Survey of Alcohol and Drugged Driving.
Videos: Watch these and other educational videos in their entirety, or purchase DVD copies online
Brochures: See our selection of online fact sheets, also available in print brochure format.